At least 14 dead as blasts rock Mazar-i-Sharif and Kunduz city in Afghanistan – World

At least 14 people were killed in a bomb attack in an Afghan city on Thursday, including 10 at the mosque in Mazar-i-Sharif, the second attack on Shiite targets this week.

The number of bombings in Afghanistan has declined since the Taliban came to power in August, but the Islamic State group claims there have been several since.

The group also claimed responsibility for Thursday’s attack on the northern Afghan city of Mazar-i-Sharif. Horrible photos of victims taken to hospitals from Sedokan Mosque have been posted on social media.

Images that could not be identified alone showed scattered broken glass.

“At least 25 people were injured,” said Zabihula Nurani, head of the information and culture department of the Balkh province. AFP.

A police official said, “10 people were killed and 15 people were injured.”

Separately, an explosion occurred in the city of Kunduz, killing at least four people and injuring 18 others.

State Police Spokesperson Obaidula Abedi AFP It was caused by a bicycle bomb aimed at a vehicle carrying a mechanic working for a Taliban military base.

The Shiite Hazara community, which makes up 10 to 20 percent of Afghanistan’s 38 million population, has long been a target of attack, some to the Taliban and others to IS.

Two explosions outside a school in Kabul’s Shiite district on Tuesday killed at least six people and injured 25.

No group claims to be responsible for this week’s attack.

Since seizing power, the Taliban have regularly raided hideouts suspected of IS in the eastern Nangarhar province.

Taliban officials claim their troops defeated ISIS, but analysts say militants are a key security challenge.

It claims to be some of the deadliest attacks in Afghanistan in recent years.

In May of last year, three bombs exploded near a school in Kabul’s Shiite-dominated Dasht-e-Barchi district, killing at least 85 people, mostly girls, and injuring around 300.

Although no group has claimed responsibility for the incident, ISIS admitted in October 2020 that 24 people were killed, including a student, in a suicide attack at an education center in the same area.

In May 2020, the group was charged with a bloody attack on the obstetrics and gynecology ward of a hospital in the same neighborhood, killing 25 people, including mothers.

.